- Problem #1 - The HYSPLIT GUI menu noted that the user generated meteorology file has a resolution of 1 km while the text in the Tutorial section indicated a resolution of 10 km. Which is correct?
- Hint - Use the Display Data / Grid Domain utility program
- Solution - showgrid.ps
- Problem #2 - Use the profile program to compare the meteorological data at Dayton, Ohio (25th 1800 UTC) between the WRF27uw and WRF27. Both have the same spatial resolution but use different boundary layer parameterizations.
- Hint - Note that because the WRF27uw and the WRF27 files have different starting times, they require different offset times for the 1800 UTC sounding to appear in the output file.
- Solution - At around 925 hPa (mid-boundary layer) the WRF27uw and the WRF27 data are very similar with respect to temperature but the wind direction difference is about 6 degrees. This may be in part due to the 350 m difference in boundary layer heights (PBLH) between the two models. The actual sounding at Dayton has been extracted from the CAPTEX data archive.